Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sports Movies

I was flipping through the channels tonight before the Indians game started and found this movie called "The Final Season." I remember seeing advertisements about it on MLB.com and remember saying that I would probably like to see that. Seeing as it was never shown on any major television station I forgot all about it, until tonight. I came into the movie about 45 minutes into it but was able to figure out what was going on very quickly. The movie is about Norway High School which was a baseball powerhouse in the state of Iowa for a near quarter century. Because it was a small school district the state decided to shut the school down and combine with a neighboring high school. The team also just lost its coach that built them into the powerhouse to the Detroit Tigers as a coach in their minor league system, so nobody was picking them to do anything. The players were down and out, but the coach brought their spirits back up and they ended up winning the state championship, so cliche! Great movie and I highly suggest spending a night watching it.

Watching this tonight got me thinking about my top 10 list of all time great sports movies:

1. Hooisers: How can you go wrong with this feel good story and it's true just like the one above.

2. Rocky: So what the hero loses and couple of times and Rocky becomes old, but just think of the message it brought to everyone.

3. Rudy: Great inspiration for any young football player or athlete.

4. Hoop Dreams: Many people probably have not seen this but it is about to Chicago basketball players who had promising careers in front of them, this movie takes you on their journey.

5. Major League: No sports movie is funnier than this one.

6. The Rookie: Story of an aging coach who tried out for the Major Leagues and made it.

7. Bull Durham: I just recently feel in love with this move, you have to watch it and then go online to read the quotes.

8. A League of Their Own: Women's baseball, great story, great actors.

9. King Pin: A 1970's drunk who takes an Amish boy to Las Vegas for a bowling tournament, classic!

10. Go Tigers, It's More Than A Game: I am biased towards this movie because it is a documentary about my high school and its football rich tradition during my senior year.

I know there are many movies that could be on this list and please let me know what I am missing or what you would put on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment